Congratulations to the Potomac Services Chimney Services Team for successfully completing the Masonry Repair for Chimney Professionals July 12-14, 2016. This event was hosted by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) at National Chimney Supply in Finksburg, Maryland.
As a certified chimney sweeps that conduct chimney repairs on a regular basis, we often work on deteriorated chimney tops and other masonry structures. While many of our technicians are already experienced in repairing brick work, Potomac Services prides itself on investing our technician’s education and ensuring they are using the best possible techniques for our customer. This course was another great opportunity to strengthen our experienced technicians and train our apprentices.
For two days, our technicians attended and successfully completed an intensive class combining a short period of classroom theory followed by hands-on projects relating to the theory lessons. In the lab we had one-on-one time with the instructor and continued practices time at work stations for hands-on lessons while in the lab.
The following topics were covered:
- Brief history of masonry work
- What areas of masonry are pertinent to a sweep company.
- How brick are made, what types of brick are good for using to build and repair chimneys and fireplaces
The various classifications and types of mortar and the use for each.
- Ingredients used to make mortar.
- How to properly mix mortar. Hand mixing and machine mixing.
- Tools of the trade and their use.
- How to gather mortar on the trowel and spread it properly.
- Laying brick to a line.
- Building a brick corner, building a brick column, or chimney.
- Joint finishing.
Mixing mortar properly
- How to gather mortar onto a trowel and spread it correctly and efficiently.
- Setting up a speed lead and laying brick to a line.
- Building a brick corner.
- Building a chimney column.
- Joint finishing.
The objective of this class was to teach students how to lay brick and be able to repair existing work. Our customers can rest assured that our technicians will apply their learnings to provide the best possible repair for the chimney brickwork. Great job team!