Keep Your Home and Your Family Safe
Potomac Services is veteran owned, full service chimney sweep company that is certified, trained and experienced in sweeping, repairing, and replacing chimneys and fireplaces. We have a proven track record of providing trusted, high quality service to thousands of customers Northern Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC neighborhoods.
Call 703-444-5155 for a free quote and to schedule your set appointment time.
When do you need to sweep your chimney? Annually.
The National Fire Protection Association and Chimney Safety Institute recommends that you have your chimney and fireplace inspected and swept on an annual basis.
Whether you burn a fire in your fireplace every winter evening, or just a few times on special occasions, it’s important to get your chimney cleaned and inspected annually. This is small investment in your home’s maintenance that helps ensure the safety of your family and property from the unnecessary risks associated with your fireplace and chimney.
Why have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually? To help keep your family and home safe.
While the worst case scenario is your chimney has built up a flammable material on its walls called creosote that can cause dangerous chimney fires or CO2 poisoning, there are other things that can cause your system to malfunction. These things are all potential dangers not caused by burning a fire in the fireplace.
Possible Chimney and Fireplace Issues:
- Animals nesting in chimney
- Lightning strikes causing the flue to shift and crack
- Debris or leaves from trees entering the flue and sitting on the firebox shelf
- Renovation or restoration work on your home could potentially change the makeup of the firebox and chimney
Is the cleaning process messy? No, we take steps to ensure its a clean operation.
Many of our customers, before having the service, express concerns about the mess of having their chimney swept. Contrary to popular belief, the process to clean your chimney is very efficient and typically a clean operation. Rest assured, we understand your concerns about your home and will treat you and your home with the respect and care that you deserve.
Our Clean Sweep Process:
- We lay tarps in front of your fireplace to protect your carpet and floor. We then set up a large vacuum to collect the soot and creosote accumulated during sweeping.
- We sweep the inside of your chimney, from the firebox floor to the chimney top, and if possible from the top down as well.
- We clean, inspect and adjust the damper and damper assembly.
- We use brushes on rods to sweep the flue, hand brushes for the firebox and smoke chamber, and a large vacuum to control the debris.
- We do an inspection of the outside of the chimney, checking the mortar work, brickwork, and crown and the flue interior. We will send you photos or videos via email documenting any damage or repairs we find.
- When finished, we will leave you with a copy of the written evaluation or send you a document via email.
How Long Does This Process Take?
Depending on the unit and access to the chimney, the process can be performed in as little as 30 minutes or up to an hour and a half.